To Invite and Equip Youth to Boldly Live as Disciples of Jesus Christ for the Transformation of the World
There is great excitement about what lies ahead for youth ministry at Holland’s as we continue to grow. We reach out to youth by incorporating the following characteristics into each of our youth ministries.
1. Radical Hospitality- We strive to have extreme of fun, friendly fellowship, and to make connections among the youth so that every youth is invited and welcomed.
2. Intentional Spiritual Formation- In our mission statement, notice that “forming disciples of Christ” is at the beginning and provides the purpose of our existence. As we design our entire youth ministry, helping our youth choose to be in a relationship with Christ and helping them grow in their faith is always to be the primary focus.
3. Passionate Worship- We continue to see amazing growth in worship experiences with the youth. There are many youth who are more than ready to help with aspects of worship on a regular basis and we will continue to seek ways to help our youth not only participate in corporate worship experiences but help lead as well.
4. Risk-Taking Missions- Putting our faith into action is a fundamental Methodist belief and tradition. We don’t “go and do” as a means to salvation-God grace has been given to us freely and is not based on our works. Yet, it is because of His grace that we seek ways to serve Him in our community through various mission projects.
Sunday School: Every Sunday at 9:45 our youth meet to study God’s Word to learn how to be disciples of Christ as a teen in today’s culture and in the future as adults.
UMYF (United Methodist Youth Fellowship): On Sundays during the traditional school year, youth come together for fellowship, fun, and food! The program is a mix of games, a large group message, small group discussion, and prayer. Our youth group is a place where teens can come, just as they are, and discover together how awesome our God is!
Youth Praise Band (PRZ): PRZ plays several times a year for one of the worship services and for special youth events like Discovery and Youth Sunday. Vocalists and instrumentalists join together to praise God through music and song! Our guiding scripture is Psalm 95: 1-2…
Confirmation: Confirmation occurs once a year around the time of Pentecost Sunday. Prior to this special worship service, a series of Confirmation classes are offered to youth 6th-12th grade during which essential beliefs of the church and of Methodism, in particular, are taught. This is a special step in a young person’s faith journey as they publicly confirm their faith in Jesus Christ and affirm their desire to live as a disciple!
Basketball League: November through February, our youth participate in a community-wide church basketball league. There are both middle school and high school teams offered. Practice is once a week with games on the weekends.
Retreats: Several times a year, our youth retreat to a special place to tune out the distractions of the world and tune into God. Some of our special places of retreat include Fort Caswell in Oak Island NC and Lake Junaluska Methodist Retreat and Conference Center
Discovery: Discovery is a weekend experience for middle school youth that is designed and implemented by our high school youth and adults throughout the church congregation. Over the course of several years, the youth have the opportunity to participate in 4 different topics which immerse them in God’s love and the love our local church all to bring them closer to a personal relationship with Jesus Christ.
Missions: Our youth participate in a variety of missions from helping with our church’s ministry to homeless families, Stop Hunger Now, 30-Hour Famine, etc. Each summer our church takes mission teams to the Appalachian Mountains through ASP (Appalachia Service Project) to winterize homes and spread the love of Christ to those in need.
Our Schedule of Activities & Events
Wednesday Schedule during the school year:
5:45 pm WNL (Wednesday Night Live) church-wide supper
6:30 pm Bible Study, Event Planning, and/or Confirmation classes
Sunday Schedule most Sundays:
8:30-9:30 Traditional Worship
9:45-10:45 Contemporary Worship
Middle School Sunday School in Room
High School Sunday School in Room 101
11:00-12:00 Traditional Worship
3:00-4:30 PRZ Rehearsal (approximately every other Sunday)
Ways to Know What’s Happening
• Email-Complete Holland’s Youth Ministries Participation Consent Form; contact Youth Director for form
• Facebook-Holland’s Youth
• REMIND-Want to receive text announcements?
Youth text reminders-text @hy-youth to the number 81010
Parent text reminders-text @hy-parents to the number 81010
Youth Ministry Leaders-text @hy-leaders to the number 81010
• Check The Youth Tab under the Connector Newsletter for latest information. Click here.
Staff Contact Information
Director of Youth Ministries